Statement on Solidarity with Black Communities
CO+HOOTS Phoenix Releases a Statement on Solidarity with Black Communities
CO+HOOTS has always believed businesses in the community have a voice and should use that voice to take a stance. We are a part of the community and strive to uphold our community’s values and basic rights. As a minority-owned organization that is deeply rooted in diversity and inclusion with a mission to support the underrepresented, CO+HOOTS stands in solidarity with Black communities and recognizes the pressing significance and necessity of the #BlackLivesMatter movement. As a stakeholder in the health of our community’s economy, we know our innovation ecosystem would not thrive without the leading-edge contributions of our Black community.
Our hearts are hurting and furious over the continuing acts of violence against our Black communities in the United States, and most recently, the senseless murders of Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd. May they rest in peace, love and power. True justice must be served. This isn’t about minimizing other communities’ struggles. Those need to be uplifted, too. But the long history of police violence against Black communities is just part of the immense breadth of injustices Black communities experience in this country, no matter the system.
Our hearts hurt, but our spirit isn’t broken. There is so much that can be done to become better allies, spread awareness and take action to disrupt racial injustices. We hope you join us. We will be sharing what we all can do to become a better ally at whatever level you are currently comfortable in, such as listening to, uplifting and amplifying Black voices and experiences; and confronting racial injustices you encounter in your professional and personal networks even when uncomfortable, especially among family and friends.
For now, below are timely actions:
- Contact Minneapolis District Attorney, Mike Freeman and demand justice for George Floyd. 612-348-5550 https://www.hennepinattorney.org/about/contact
- Sign ColorOfChange.org’s petition.
- Bail out protestors. You can start your research here.
- Donate to the Official George Floyd GoFundMe, which states it will use the funds for funeral costs, grief counseling for the Floyd family and costs associated to their upcoming legal fight: https://bit.ly/gofundmefloyd
- Be loud. When you see injustice, be vocal.